PS About shop portfolio

10.04.2011

5 Tips on Being Healthy


I received an email not too long ago asking what my "secret" was on staying so thin and if I had any healthy habits tips to share. Well, I'm thin because I have an insanely fast metabolism, because honestly I eat far more than I look like I do, but I also do my very best to take care of and maintain good health. I think staying healthy is so important. The Bible says that your body is a temple and if you don't believe in the Bible, then I think you can at least agree that we only have one body and we should do our very best to take care of it. I'm not a crazy health nut (I don't think), but I do value a healthy lifestyle. Here are my five tips on being healthy.

1. Eat Healthy. Notice I said the word eat, please, oh please do not stop eating because of some crazy diet! I believe healthy eating habits along with the following four tips will help you to maintain a healthy weight (if this is your primary concern). I don't eat meat (often). I'm not a full fledged vegetarian, but if I can avoid eating meat, I do. I really have noticed an increase in my health since making this switch. I enjoy brands like Morning Star and Boca the most. I eat lots of fruits, nuts and veggies too, mostly because they're delicious and because they're good for you! I drink tons of water, which as a singer is absolutely necessary, but it's also great for your skin! I also drink lots of chai tea, which is really good for you as well; you can read more about that here.

2. Sleep! Yes, I said it. I need, yes need, eight hours of sleep every night and if I don't get it, watch out! haha, but seriously, sleep is huge for me. It's a time that your body needs in order to recharge and just like with a phone, if you don't charge it, it's going to die out. Now you may not have the means to get that much sleep, that's understandable, some of you have kids and it's nearly impossible, but that just means that you need to make the most of the sleep you do get! Remove distractions, even as you fall asleep, don't lay and worry about all of the things you have to do the next day, turn your phone off so it doesn't go off and wake you up in the middle of the night, and get a good pillow. That last one may sound weird, but it's true, a good pillow can change your entire sleep experience! I got a foam pillow from target that's the much cheaper version of the Tempur Pedic ones, and let me tell you what, whoa! It did wonders for my neck and helped to correct years of back and shoulder problems; it also helped to decrease my migraines and other headaches related to tension in my neck. Just sayin, a good pillow can help.

3. Exercise. I'm no fitness guru, but I really do enjoy working out. You may say, "Well, I don't like to run." Well that's fine, don't run. Do what feels comfortable for you and something that you actually enjoy doing; that way you'll actually look forward to doing it. I enjoy running, but I hate running outside; put me on a treadmill though and I'm good to go, weird, I know. I also really love doing yoga, hot yoga especially. I love how calming it is and that it truly does allow me to exert a lot of energy. Pilates is also something else I love to do; just find something that interests you and do it. You may not master it right away, but fitness is a skill and the more you do it, the better you'll get at it and before you know it, it'll be your "thing." Another important key is not to over exert yourself; go at your own pace and don't try and compare yourself to anyone else. Everyone is at a different level, so maybe you can only workout half the time as your friend can. Fifteen minutes of working out is better than no working out... Every bit matters and remember your body can always handle more than you think it can. You may feel like your legs are going to fall off of your body if you run another minute, but if you really had to keep running (like for your life) than you could totally do it. Don't have a "I can't do it" mindset, but also please don't push yourself too hard (and stay hydrated!).

4. Be positive. I don't know about you, but when I get stressed out or worried, then it totally shows through my health. When I stress I sometimes get migraines, tension in my shoulders, acne, and once even hives! Stress shows through, so calm down, take a deep breath and concentrate on the positive. This doesn't have to be all new age meditation, just maintain a positive attitude and outlook and I promise it'll help you; even if it's simply for your mental health, ha!

5. Surround yourself with healthy people. I think relationships have a lot to do with our health. If you have friends who love to be active, then they will probably invite you to do activities that require you to stay fit. Also, if you surround yourself with Negative Nancies then it's going to mentally and emotionally drain you, which is far from healthy. Healthy relationships equals a happy and healthy you.

Lastly, I need to include that I do not drink coffee or sodas. The small amount of caffeine I do take in is the amount found in chai tea. I don't like caffeine and I personally don't think that it does any favors for your body. Sure, it might give you a boost of energy in the morning, but if you need energy, then rest. If you need a quick pick me up, then eat a piece of fruit. I think the damage coffee & sodas do to your body far outweighs what they do for your body. That's my little soapbox, ha! That is all. Here's to a happy healthy you!


xo.
Melisa

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I love to exercise and I try to eat healthy! :) I could do better at sleeping though! I am off soda now for three months! Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tips!
    i am lovin it!

    ashley

    i am hosting a CRATE PAPER giveaway if you're interested in entering! :)

    www.ashley-warner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tips , thanks ! I am going to share this on my fb page .

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing tips, Melisa! This is one I need to save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips!! I too try to limit my caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great suggestions! Even though it seems that they are basic, really the basic things are what will keep us healthy down the road. Diet is so important, as is getting enough rest and exercising.

    ReplyDelete